Friday, May 9, 2008

Welcome to the world, Peanut!

This is late, but it's the first time I've had a moment to sit down and type it out. My little Peanut, Aeden, was born on Sunday (almost a week ago now!). He was 3 1/2 weeks early and we have one heck of a story to go with it.

When I woke up that morning, I felt fine. I ate some cereal and sat down at the computer. After sitting there for awhile, a realized I was having cramping but as that had been happening for awhile I kind of ignored it. But by an hour or so more, I realized that it was pretty regular cramping. So I started to time it. But the contraction were irregular in length and spaced out irregularly so I immediately thought that it wasn't going to happen anytime soon. They'd have to be more regular and longer. I ended up getting into a bath to try and ease the pain up some... Heh. That didn't work. In fact, while I was in the tub they got much more intense - still not regular but OMG, intense. I called my OB's nurse line and after Chris talked to her for a little while (and I tried to not throw up) it was decided I was going to the hospital. Clearly something was going on.

The ride there was eventful. It's a 45 minunte drive that got made longer by a house falling off a truck and closing the main road we use to get to the hospital. So we had to back track and go around. I have no clue how long the trip took, other than way to long (for my taste, anyway). We got to the hospital and checked in and the nurses put me in triage... and kind of forgot about me. It might have gotten busy and, again I have no time frame for how long anything really took, but eventually in the middle of a contraction, I asked Chris to go find a nurse cause I had a strong pressure that was heading toward push... cause as it turned out I was 7 cm dialated. They moved me really quickly into a birthing room thinking that I was giving birth soon. I decided I needed something to try and dull the pain. The nurse gave me some IV drugs and for awhile those worked beautifully. Except that it started to wear off and when they checked again, I was still only 7 cm. At that point, epidural was considered and I decided it might be a good idea. They called for the anesthesiologist, checked me again (8 1/2??) and then my water broke. Well, the pressure was gone but wow did those contractions get worse. The miracle worker arrived and put in an epidural (that I never felt) and almost instantly I felt better.

I wanted to push and there was some debate about how dialated I really was but eventually we decided to try pushing. And we got nowhere. He'd move a little and then stop. And move a little and stop, almost like he was stuck. As it turned out, he wasn't stuck per say but had put his head down on his shoulder and was coming sideways down the birth canal, plus he was face up when he should have been face down. There was a lot of concern though because we didn't know about the sideways part yet and I wasn't making much progress. We discussed options - csection (I so did not want that!), forceps or vacuum. We moved to the OR as a just in case scenario and tried the vacuum. And at 6:00 pm (18:00 hours!) I got him out. It was a TON of work (for both of us). He cried right away so he was breathing (YAY!) and they took him to a warmer to evaluate him. His first APGAR was a 4 (not so hot) but by about 30 minutes later he was an 8, so much better. They brought him to me (as I was being stitched up - I got a 2nd degree tear and was having IV fluids due to the amount of blood I lost). It turns out that in addition to all the problems he was having moving, there was also a placental abruption, where the placenta starts to come away from the uterus and 25% of the placenta had detached. That's probably why labor was triggered to begin with.

Aeden went to the NICU. He been there since, having a rough time getting everything sorted out. He had an IV in for awhile for feedings but he's eating now and his IV is out. The only thing left to clear up is some jaundice. Hopefully, today his bilirubin level will come down enough for the doctor to try a rebound and see if the jaundice comes back. If it doesn't he'll be home this weekend. Otherwise he'll go back under the lights. I really want him home, but more than that, I want him healthy so he stays, even though it's killing me to leave him there. He's beautiful, precious, perfect. Everything a mommy could want.

7 comments:

Majorgroover said...

Congrats!

Lizzie9984 said...

Yay!!! Congradulations!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so great!!! All of us Nov 07 moms have been thinking about you and so glad to hear that your little boy will be home with you soon.

AimeeandBrian said...

More congrats from Nov07 mamas! We are so happy for you!

GinaRae said...

Oh mama!!! The Nov 07 DDC mamas have been waiting and watching and thinking about you always!! We love you and miss you!

He sounds like a lil bugger for coming out sideways and face up! Sounds like he could use a good peds chiro for Cranial Sacral Therapy to make sure he's in alignment when he comes home. But that's just unsolicited advice from a busy body!

Anyways, we've all got such big hugs for you and we think about you all the time! Congratulations!!!

kate said...

Congratulations darling, to all three of you!!! He DID come on Mothers' Day, as requested, but in his own particular fashion...have a good time with that as he grows. So much love and good wishes...I'm off to find baby blanket patterns to knit now.

Cindy said...

Congratulations mama. I missed that you had a healthy boy! I'm thrilled for you!

-Cindy from MDC Nov 07 DDC